The G-38 is a minimalist, ultralight tarp designed to be setup quickly in harsh conditions with minimal fuss. Targeted specifically at bivvy, hooped bivvy and UL tent users, the G-38 provides 3.8 sqm of cover with enough width to offer meaningful shelter in stormy conditions. Colour coded, high retraction attachment loops aid setup in low light conditions and help reduce stress on ultralight tarp poles in high winds, while Cordura reinforcements and Dyneema/Polyester cord loops offer superb tear resistance and load tolerance. With an impressively small pack size and weighing in at around 290g the G-38 may be lightweight but has proven, over years of testing, that it's tough enough to handle itself in extremely challenging conditions.
If you're unsure what this is about, we strongly recommend looking over our full outline of the G-38 and also the companion piece "Reasons To Go Modular" to see why the G-Series tarps were developed and the issues they were designed to remedy.
|Main Fabric: 20D Silicone Impregnated 360T Ripstop Nylon||-|
|Treatments: PU Coated, Seam-Sealed Underside||-|
|Attachment Points: 420D AC Coated Ripstop Cordura (Number = )||8|
|Attachment Loops: Dyneema/Polyester Cord + High Retraction Elasticated Cord (Corners Only)||8 x 1.5mm / 4 x 3mm|
|Dimensions: Length x Width (Coverage)||210 x 180 cm (3.78 sqm)|
|Tarp Weight (measured): Tarp + Tarp Bag||~283g + 7g = ~290g|
|Scramble's Price on SYSTEM (current 10% discount cap / RRP)||£54.00 / £60.00|
The G-38 is the upgraded version of Scramble's G-Mod 38. Although the tarp looks almost identical (the main fabric and most of the component materials remaining the same), there have been a number of ("under the hood") improvements. Simply put, what can be improved has been:
- The G-38s, in line with other Scramble products, are now logo and print free.
- The corner attachment points have had a minor but important re-design. They are slightly larger with larger wrap around tabs. This means there is more surface area for additional lines of stitching and a central flag-stitch. Basically, they are more fail-safe and able to handle greater stresses.
- The stuff sacks are now made in the UK from a superior, stronger fabric (40D sil-nylon ripstop).
- We've switched over the threading to this one by Gutermanns.
- Now more of the manufacturing is done in the UK, the G-38s are little more expensive to make, but we've decided to cap the price for as long as we can so they'll cost no more than the old G-Mod 38s.
The G-38s will be available from mid November 2019.
The G-38 tested with a traditional bivvy + tarp setup
Product Image Gallery
Last Updated: 01/11/19